Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Interview: Beth Revis

Last week, I posted a gushing review extolling the many virtues of Across the Universe. One of the key things mentioned was that it was very thought-provoking. Well, how fitting is it then, that we have none other than the amazing author herself, the formidable Beth Revis, joining us to answer some questions!

Let's kick it off with a question that's become a bit of a Lucid Conspiracy staple: summarize ACROSS THE UNIVERSE in twenty words - include as many alliterations as you can.

A mysterious murder amid mindless men whilst travelling through SPACE!

Well done! Words of wisdom - what do you do when the muse has gone on vacation?

I don't have a muse. I just have a sore butt--because I make myself sit down in my chair and go at it.

Ah, an advocate for the BIC method, I see. If you were aboard the Godspeed, what role would you fulfill/where would you be?

I'd be one of the crazies in the Hospital Ward. Probably like Victria, the writer, although I hope I'd be less bitter than her...

Can definitely see the writer thing happening ;) There are a lot of interesting, philosophical aspects of human nature explored in ACROSS THE UNIVERSE. Which concept did you feel was most important to entertain and explore in this novel?

I like to think that I raised the question of nature versus nurture, but that I left it open enough for the reader to answer himself.

If you had to pick a dystopian world to live in, which would you choose? [e.g. the world of The Hunger Games]

Oh! Oh dear, that's very bleak, isn't it? Hmmm... definitely NOT The Hunger Games...I guess I'd pick Veronica Roth's world in DIVERGENT.

Really looking forward to that one - and by the sounds of it, you enjoyed it as well! In the centuries since the Godspeed has departed from Earth, what has happened to our green and blue planet?

Ah! I can't tell you! *evil author grin* I'll quote an awesome Doctor Who character, River Song, and simply say: "Spoilers!"

Mm - I like the implication there! Why did you write ACROSS THE UNIVERSE?

I love to write, and I had what I thought was a cool twist for a story, and this is the result.

And what a great result it is, indeed. Do you think it's scientifically feasible for humans to inhabit another planet or moon?

Yes, absolutely. We grow exponentially every year, both in intellect and population. I think it's inevitable, actually.

Well, if humans are to survive a solar demise, this may be the way to go. Do you think there is intelligent life on other worlds?

I don't know. Space is VAST. But the miracle of intelligent life is so...miraculous. Has it been replicated? I don't know. I think it much more likely (and probable) that there is unintelligent life on other worlds.

Hmm. Do you have any specific writing rituals/particular quirks?

Nope! I just sit down and do it!

Any literary crushes?

Well, it's not from a book, but...I really wish I could either have my own Doctor (Doctor Who) or my own Captain Mal (Firefly).

Worthy choices! Are there any interesting tidbits about future projects / current WIPs that you're able to share?

I'm in the midst of editing A MILLION SUNS, the sequel to ACROSS THE UNIVERSE right now. I can only say one thing: that two things you think are true in ACROSS THE UNIVERSE are actually lies...

Oh boy, definitely very intrigued to see how that plays out. (What a great title for the sequel, by the way :) Anything else you'd like to add?

Thanks for interviewing me!

And thank you, Beth, for giving me the chance to pick your brain!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...