Sunday, March 20, 2011

New Reads for Old Series

Sisterhood Everlasting - Ann Brashares (June 14th, 2011)
I was so excited to discover that there was going to be a fifth book to follow up with the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. I love Bridget and Lena and Tibby and Carmen and all the secondary characters as well. They're all so real! (In fact, I even signed up for summer soccer - for 3 years, no less - because, hey, Bridget plays soccer!) But most of all, I love Brashares' writing. I love the diction choice, the phrasing, the voice. There are so many memorable quotes that have just stuck with me, even though it's been years.

The Last Little Blue Envelope - Maureen Johnson (April 26th, 2011)
Again, Johnson is another writer who's prose I adore. It's quirky and fun, unique and amusing. And similarly here, 13 Little Blue Envelopes (the first book) is one that really resonated with me. The whole concept of bumming around Europe, just kind of getting off the grid for awhile, living with freedom and gusto, experiencing a boho sort of life ... it really appeals to me. Especially in the past month, while the beginning tendrils of panic about finding something to do for this summer have begun to curl in, I've been thinking a lot about what it'd be like, to have that kind of bohemian freedom. But realistically speaking, even though my parents are very flexible and modern for Asian parents, being a professor and an engineer, they're pretty rational - bumming around for the sake of it without direction the summer after first year university would be still be pushing it.

Live vicariously through books, right?

I think, at the same time, because what little time I have for for-fun reading is spent on dystopian / science fiction / futuristic speculative fiction these days, I don't really read books like [these ones above] any more. A throwback to old times, perhaps - some nostalgic reading in the vein of what I used to, a few years ago.

Just reminiscing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They both look awesome.

great post.

I woke up Sunday a.m. to find my blog, my 500 plus followers, my 100plus author interviews, and my 200 plus reviews gone. Blogger gave no explanation, but I think the account was hacked. Change your password often!

I have reloaded the interviews and reviews, plus redesigned the blog. But if you could, please hit the "follow" button so I can reclaim the fellow bloggers I miss. I'm still following you, as my account remained--thank goodness!
http://kellymoranauthor.blogspot.com

Thank you!
Kelly Moran
XO

deltay said...

Oh no, that really sucks! Hopefully everything works out soon :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...